Box It Up!

I don’t know what it is, but box braids are regaining its popularity. Wait, were they ever really popular???

I remember the Poetic Justice jokes and no one ever wanting “Patra braids.”  I remember feeling like I fell victim to box braids back when I was a freshman in high school. I brought in a photo of how I wanted my braids to look. After a long nap in the chair and $200 later, I woke up to a nightmare– Long, heavy, preposterous braids and a headache! How was I ever going to face the critical high school population or convince my mother to let me take them out an hour after getting them???

A few years later {wink}, I realize that I really like them and I wouldn’t mind giving them another try! I have to give Solange credit, I think she’s made them more appealing over time. It’s a bit out-of-the-box, but it’s a style I’ve grown to admire. THANKS SOLANGE!!!

She is full of style!!!!

Beyonce Knowles, Blue Ivy Carter

Beyonce’ also gave it a try…

Shaunie O’neal boxed it up successfully!

So what do you think? Are box braids worth another try???

About these ads

About SPRINKLES OF BLISS
I’m often told that I‘m missing my calling… I have an exhilarating enthrallment with fashion! (And I DO mean EXHILARATING)!!! I don’t have a favorite designer believe it or not. However, I do admire the artistry of many. Fashion for me is not about labels. That’s not to say that I don’t indulge in them at times. I just think it’s MORE important to understand the basics and looking great at whatever price-point that fits your lifestyle! My family (including my Chihuahuas), friends, bargain shopping, arts, music, food, travel, and inspirational people/quotes make my life blissful . I also sprinkle myself with celeb gossip, nostalgic television and (trashy) reality TV shows. If you have any questions for me or would like my opinion on anything, please email me at sprinklesofbliss.gmail.com. Thanks for reading!

9 Responses to Box It Up!

1. Tomik Dash says:

I think one of the best things about the times that we live in now is that there are no more rules. People are having so much fun and experimenting with their style and figuring out what it means to be their authentic self. When I look at those pictures of Solange, her hair, her style, and her whole persona feel authentic… not contrived. And that’s what makes her so beautiful.

So I say if you feel like box braids are in alignment with your style and personality, rock em! And hey, even if you’re not sure, you never know until you try. It’s fun to switch things up every now and then.

2. Nicole says:

There is a Tumblr page dedicated to box braids (ILOVEBoxBraids.tumblr.com). I think Solange definitely makes them look amazing. Made me want some, but it’s impossible to find weave to match my hair color…oh, well!

3. Courtnee says:

I think I’m getting some in a couple of months! I absolutely love them on Solange.

4. soochic says:

They’re cute an all but don’t think these edges of mine can handle all of that! lol I know one thing, you could’t tell me nothin’ when I had some my junior year in HS…even if I did lose one at school an never found it…YES!!! Hence the weak hairline…LOL

5. Martie says:

I love them! I didn’t quite to the braids but I did do the twist. They were AWESOME! They were glamorous, easy to manage, and easy to maintain at the same damn time ! Lol!

6. NIYA says:

WOW I LIKE THOSE AND U KNOW IT GIRL WOW IM GETTING THOSSE IN A FEW WEEKES IF MY REPIRT CARD IS GOOGD MY MOM TOLD ME I CAN GETT SOME IM SO SO SO HAPPY YAH NOW I TATTOLLY REALLY WANT SOME AND I SEE ALL THE WAYS YOU CAN DO THEM UP IN A BALL LET THEM HANG DO WAT ERER U WANT WITH EM

7. NIYA says:

I SHOULD GO TO THE AFICANS SHOULDEN I OR SHOULD I LET MY SISTER DO THEM FOR ME OR CAN ONE YALL HOOK ME UP WITH SOME ONE WHO CAN DO A GGOOOGSD JOB AND BE ABLE TO MAKE THEM LAST AL LONG TIME THANKS GORL

8. Nice replies in return of this matter with real arguments and explaining everything about that.